Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Portraits of 100 Strangers

Over the past two days I had continued my search for Portraits of 100 Strangers to no avail. Rather than not post any thing at all this week I will make a posting about my shoot with a coworker and good friend (Brittany).

Brittany and I had arrived at Murfreesboro Battle Grounds 8:15 a.m. Monday morning. Eager to start shooting I grabbed my things from the truck and headed to a field of wheat grass, with Brittany right on my heals. Once we arrived at the location where we were going to shoot, I made her wait while I checked for snakes and trampled down some of the tall grass where we would be shooting.

I began setting up my lights when I was approached by the park ranger. "You guys aren't doing a commercial shoot are you"
No I told the ranger. "Just some work for my portfolio".
The park ranger proceeded to inform me that if we were doing a commercial shoot that we would need a permit. I assured him that it wasn't commercial.

He also proceeded to inform us that the grass that we were going to be shooting in was full of chiggers. I didn't care. I had had this spot in mind for months. I was only waiting to find the right person to be my model for the day. Brittany definitely fit the scene. I asked her if she minded if there were chiggers and she made it clear that she didn't mind. Brittany was a real champ. I think she ended up rolling in the chigger infested grass for about 30 minuets. "YOU GO BRITTANY"!!!

Below is the lighting diagram for the above shot.

My light source was 2 Vivitar 285hv's bounced out of a silver umbrella.

Camera Settings: ISO 100, F/10, Shutter speed 1/100

I used a gray card for an ambient light reading. I bumped the shutter speed up 2 stops to cut back on ambient light and make Brittany pop just a little.

Thank you Brittany for making this shoot possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment